Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default File Download loses Excel features

It sounds as if your cell is formatted as text, so that's why it's not
evaluating the formula. Format the cell as General, and either re-enter
your formula, or F2 and enter.
--
David Biddulph

"JHL" wrote in message
When I download a file off the mainframe I save it as a text file. When I
open the file I use de-limited to get my columns and re-save in Excel
format.
However, I cannot use some functions like writing an "if" statement.

When I type the "if" statement it appears just as I have typed it. What
do
I have to do to gain Excel's functionality? Thanks