Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default Personal.xls in Excel 2007

The file type is xlsb and mine is in

C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Peter K" wrote in message
I used to have in previous office versions an XLstart folder uinder the
Office10 folder, containing Personal.xsl as well as two templates,
sheet.xsl
& Book.xsl.

The templates apparently were moved with the 2007 installation to
C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates . (For simplicity, I'll
call this Pathxx\Templates.) The Perrsonal.xsl is in the Office12\XlStart
folder. In addition there appeares a Personal.xlsb (Binary?) in
Pathxx\Excel, the xlsb file being 50kB, compared to the xls file being 35
kB.
There are also several shortcuts to these files, I assume, some leftover &
redundant.

Anytime I try to open an Excel file, I get an error message: "Excel cannot
open file Personal.xslB because the file format or the file extensionis
not
valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file
extension matches the format of the file." The same error has also been
given for the .XLS file.

Since I have another machine running Office 2007, I copied the .XLS file
from there. Since it works there, I'm sure it's not corrupted.

What is wrong & what is the correct file type & file location for
Personal.xls in Office 2007? (Unfortunately, no info in Excel help.)

(Both machines run under Vista Ultimate.)

Any advice will be appreciated.

Peter K