Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dennis M Dennis M is offline

Default MSN Stock Quote Addin

Thank you Don. I've downloaded a sample xl sheet of yours dated 10/18/07 -
not the one you mentioned though - and it does the job. I "think" I'll be
able to incorporate it to use with my spreadsheet ... even if I have to copy
or fetch the results from another sheet, it works!

Still wouldn't mind hearing from anyone that has the correct format for MSN
Moneycentral!

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Quicken

What's that???

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Fred Smith" wrote in message
It depends on which price service MSN is using. Preferred shares,
especially in Canada, are notorious for having different symbols. It
started with the TSX when they added .pr to everything. Not everyone else
followed suit.

You need to ask your price service (in this case MSN) for the proper
symbol. It has nothing to do with Excel.

My other suggestion is buy Quicken. It will download quotes and value your
portfolio so much more easily than Excel.

Fred

"Dennis M" wrote in message
Does anyone know the correct "format" for the stock symbol to download
stock
quotes for preferred shares from the Toronto Stock Exchange. Note that
getting quotes for common shares is fine; no problem.

Here's an example ...
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce Preferred D is commonly listed as ...
cm.pr.d or cm-d.
The former gets me the name but no stock info. The latter "sometimes"
gets
me the price, but most often will not. It is getting very frustrating to
manually update 20 stocks every day.

FWIW I'm using Excel 2007 and Vista Premium. Note that everything worked
OK
until a few months ago, so I don't think it is an Excel or Vista problem.
think I really just need to know the format for symbols for preferred
shares.