Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
stocktsi stocktsi is offline

Default Create "other" filter

Pete,

The issue is that I want to capture ALL status codes that aren't one of the
4 listed. There will be more than 2 (which is all the Custom option allows),
and I don't know what all of them will be up front.

I thought about creating an expression to determine this as part of the
advanced filtering, but the idea of a helper column might be easier. The
"clean" way would be to create a true/false expression if the data wasn't in
a list (as opposed to creating a long If statement which would be ugly to
maintain when I add other valid status codes.). Is there a way to create a
simply expression like:

if A2 is not in the set of ("New", "Hold", "Active", "Close") or

if A2 is not in the set of (X1:X4), and put the codes in cells X1 - X4

Thanks.

"Pete_UK" wrote:

On your filter pull-down you can select Custom (usually the 3rd option
down), then you can select two criteria.

First criteria: Is equal to | sales
click the OR button
Second criteria: Is Equal to | postpone
click OK

Alternatively, you could use a helper column and use a code like "non-
valid" if the other column contains sales or postpone, and filter on
the helper column.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 30, 6:16 am, stocktsi
wrote:
I've got a table of data that I'm working with and trying to get displayed
the way I need it. There's a "Status" column that has one of 4 valid status
values in it. I've used autofilter to see individual cuts of each status,
but I'd also like to be able to set up a filter that would allow me to see
all non-valid status at the same time without having to specify what they are
(ie - show me any row where the status isn't one of the 4 valid options).

For example:

Status (in column N)
-------
New
Hold
Active
Close
sales
postpone

So the advanced filter would allow me to see all rows with "sales" or
"postpone" as a status.

Thanks for your help!