Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stephen[_2_] Stephen[_2_] is offline

Default How can I add down a list a specified number of cells?

=SUM(OFFSET(A2,0,0,4,1))
will give you the 4 week total in your example below. If you were to put
this formula in (say) B2 and then copy it to B3, it would give you a four
week total starting from A3.

Of course you could put a cell address in instead of the number 4, for
example
=SUM(OFFSET(A2,0,0,G17,1))
Then it would total however many weeks were entered into G17.
Or you could put a formula in there, and so on...

"porbeagle" wrote in message
I have a huge number of lists that I am calculating. I have a vertical list
of numbers
each vertical cell represents a week. I am trying to add up a varing
number
of week forward to madel stock controls. Currently I am adding up each
individual cell for the number of week that i need (ie 4 weeks is
=sum(a2+a3+a4+a5). This is very clumsy and time consuming. Is there a way
write a formula that adds up a specified number of cells forward. i.e add
ten
cells down the list and return total?