Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
tchu tchu is offline

Default Can't hyperlink to another Excel file

Thanks a lot~ but unfortunately the macro method also failed..
I should emphasis one point:
2. I noticed some characters are changed by Excel automatically

the modification happened when you Save and then Re-open the Excel file.
I tried your macro, which is quite cool to me since I am still not familiar
with
Office vbscript programming, however the same thing happened..

So, who can please tell me what can I do if I want to contact Microsoft
Office Develop team asking for a patch?
( e.g. like Report Bug forum of SourceForge projects :) )

Tiancheng Hu

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Don't use CNTRL-k and the Wizard.

1. I put a simple oval shape on a worksheet using the drawing toolbar
2. I assign a hyperlink to it using a very simple macro:

Sub tchu()
ActiveSheet.Shapes("Oval 1").Select
ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=Selection.ShapeRange.Item(1), Address:= _
"file:///G:\yaris mileage.xls"
Range("A1").Select
End Sub

The hyperlink works. This method may offer protection from un-needed HTML
conversions.

Good Luck
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200759

"tchu" wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have also been going crazy with this problem... since I have post the
similar problem to Chinese discussion group 6 months before.
Though I have got the same answer as Gary''s Student provided, I had to say
it doesn't totally work in my case..:
1. I have some rectangle graphic blocks, on which I set links to other
files/folders.
These blocks, since not cells, can only set link by using Ctrl+K, not
"=HYPERLINK"
2. I noticed some characters are changed by Excel automatically
e.g. "\\192.168.100.100\[Efficient Work]/[Sample]" would be modified to
"\\192.168.100.100\%5bEfficient%20Work%5d/%5bSample%5d"
Because the hyperlink is not a HTTP URL, it seems Excel finally
confused himself by his modification..
I have used a lot of such folder naming style, which drove me mad when
finding out Excel cannot deal with the non-HTTP hyperlink correctly...
3. If I want to contact Microsoft Office Develop team asking for a patch,
what shall I do? Excel is really a good application, but in my case I really
need it to be better.

Hope anyone could cast light on this problem ASAP :)

Tiancheng Hu

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Hi Joe:

Here is a way of making a hyperlink that should work off-local.

First assign a mapped drive designator to your shared drive

G:

then use a hyperlink formula:

=HYPERLINK("file:///G:\yaris mileage.xls","mileage")

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200759

"Access Joe" wrote:

Hi everyone.

I'm going crazy here. I have a Master Excel file with a bunch of
hyperlinks. Some links go to other spreadsheets in that file, some go to
Word documents, and some go to other Excel workbooks. Everything works
perfectly EXCEPT the links to the other Excel workbooks. When I click a link
that points to another Excel file, it freezes and the just does nothing.
These files are in the same folder as the Word files, so I'm confused as to
why it'll open up other word docs but not other excel docs.

I've tried creating the links in multiple master files - and they will not
work anywhere. The file I'm trying to link to DOES work - I can open it up
manually without a problem. It's not in 'My Docs', it's in a shared company
directory.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks much!