Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default formatting issue- date format dominates

No offense but I am pretty sure you are wrong, I have never heard of anyone
being able to bypass
this limitation and it also doesn't make any sense that it would work one
day but not the other.
2-3 would always convert to a date but if you use 13-3 then it will stay the
same because it cannot be interpreted as a date using US default regional
settings.
You still haven't answer why you would need general formatting for this, how
come map point would need a specific format?

Peo Sjoblom

"learningaccess" wrote in message
Wow... someone is in a bad mood! Have you heard of email etiquette?
Really,
there is no need to be so nasty.

I had no problems doing this in general the other day. Get a personality.
--
Thanks!

"Stephen" wrote:

You have already received an explanation of this. In Excel, 2-3 and 4+
are
NOT numbers. You cannot enter 2-3 in General format (except preceded by
an
apostrophe) without it going wrong. Whatever you did "the other day" was
no
different - you have just confused yourself.

"learningaccess" wrote in
message
Someone please help! I just need the following in general format:

0, 1, 2-3 and 4+

2-3 keeps changing to Feb 3rd. I just need 2-3 and 4+ in General
number
format. Worked the other day ... no problem. Don't know what the deal
is
today.

Thank you.
--
Thanks!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

2-3 is not a number in Excel so Excel guesses what you are trying to
do
and
it guesses that you are trying to enter a date. Btw, why would you
need
general format?

Peo Sjoblom

"learningaccess" wrote in
message
thank you, but i need the format in general for a map point
application.
map
point won't map 2-3 and 4+ as text but it worked no problem the
other
day
with general format.

Why won't general format stick?

--
Thanks!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

precede the entry with an apostrophe ' or format as text

Peo Sjoblom

"learningaccess" wrote
in
message

I'm trying to put general numbers in a column as follows : 0, 1,
2-3
and
4+.

2-3 keeps changing to Feb 3rd no matter that I keep formatting
General.

How can I stop this? Please help!

Thanks,
Chris