Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Garrett Garrett is offline

Default Issues with sharing workbooks (data loss)

No, the users experiancing the loss are not being prompted and we have at
least two documented cases where the last user to make changes did not get
prompted for conflicts. I assume this means that no conflict existed? Anyway,
I think the other possibility is that since there is no real security
attached to the file anyone could save a local copy and then save over the
shared copy. The will not show up in Track Changes either )-:

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

From Help on shared workbooks.............

Resolving conflicts When you save changes to a shared workbook, another
person who's currently editing the workbook might have saved changes to the same
cells. In this case, the changes conflict, and a conflict resolution dialog box
appears that allows you to decide whose changes to keep.

Perhaps users are ignoring this and saving just their own changes?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:18:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Does Microsoft acknowledge that it is possible for users editingdatain the
same field at the same time can overwrite each othersdata?