Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Conan Kelly Conan Kelly is offline

Default pate-link & fill down?

i2meek,

See my reply to your last post.

Conan

"i2meek" wrote in message
there are no dollar signs in my formula

"Conan Kelly" wrote:

i2meek,

Go to the first cell that you did the paste-link in and edit the formula.
Take the dollar signs out of the cell address in the formula. For
example:

change

[filename]sheetname!$B$2

[filename]sheetname!B2

But this doesn't sound like it is accomplishing what you want to
accomplish.
What you are describing here sounds like your links will bring in
different
players stats for the same game into cells where you want the same
players
stats for different games.

My suggestion, Excel isn't the best tool for this. Access would be a lot
better (if you have/know/can learn Access). In Access, you would have
one
table of games, one table of players, and one table of stats. In the
stats
table, you would look up the player from the player table and look up the
game from the game table. Then you could have a form for Games and a
form
for Players. In the players form, you would look up the player you want
see, and it would list all of his stats by game. In the game form, you
would look up the game you want to see, and it would list all of the
stats
by player.

HTH,

Conan

"i2meek" wrote in message
I am making a basketball stats program.

I have a workbook where data is entered. In this workbook there are 31
worksheets, one for data to be entered for each game. The 31
worksheets
have
all 23 players' names down 2 columns on the left, and all the stat
headings
across the top row.

I have another workbook that displays player stats with calculations
and
has
23 worksheets, one for each player. It has the 31 games listed in a
column
on the left and the stat headings across the top.

I would like to link paste-link the data in worksheet1, row1 to the
player
1
stat row1. The data in worksheet 1 row 2 to the player2 stat row1,
Worksheet1 row3 to player3 row1, etc. Then after game 2, paste-link the
data
in worksheet2 row1 to player1 row2, worksheet2 row2 to player2 row2,
worksheet2 row3, to player3 row2 etc.

I thought I could do the first paste-link and then fill down. However,
when
I do this, the cell location does not increase by 1. What is the
quickest
way to do this?