Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default Better display of my pie charts

Another alternative would be to select a chart type more suited to
information display. A bar or column chart comes to mind. Since these show
data as a distance in one direction only, they are easier to interpret
quickly than the pie, which forces the reader to interpret angles or areas,
which studies show are less accurate interpretations.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Del Cotter" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
tshad said:

Is there a way to get a better image of my pie charts?

They are really stair stepped and when I put them in my Word Document of
my
report it looks less than professional. Is there a way to get excel to
smooth the curves better?

Some ideas:

1) Copy it as a Picture (i.e. vector format) instead of a Bitmap

or

2) expand the bitmap to double the size in Excel, and shrink it back to
half the size in Word

or

3) export a big bitmap to a good photo processor like Photo Shop (good but
expensive), Paint Shop Pro (cheaper - I bought it!), or GIMP (free, I
believe), and re-export at smaller size. Unlike Excel, these programs
handle anti-aliasing well for graphics as well as text.

or

4) Get Excel 2007, which is advertised as having better graphics, which I
would *hope* means they now have anti-aliasing of the graphics as well as
the fonts. ("anti-aliasing" is what programs do to avoid stair-stepping in
low-res graphics)

--
Del Cotter
NB Personal replies to this post will send email to