Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default running total based on text

=countif(i6:i35,"medicare")

Peo Sjoblom

"ucastores" wrote in message
That's what i tried. =sumif(i6:i35,"medicare",i6:i35) and it returned 0.
I'm sorry i wasn't clear. i want it to pick out the number of times
medicare
is in the column and give me that number.

"Teethless mama" wrote:

E2: =SUMIF(CriteriaRange,"criteria",SumRange)

F2: =E2/SumRange (format cell as %)

"ucastores" wrote:

i have a column that i type in insurances.
i have four different broad types of insurances, medicare, medicaid,
self
pay, and commercial insurance. The commercial insurance is listed by
the
specific company.
I want to do a running total of each type and place the total in a
separate
cell (each type would have its own cell). Then I need to know what
percent
of each type is of the total of all types. i.e. medicare is 30% of all
the
different types of insurance.

I tried Sumif and that didn't work

Help please!