Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Del Cotter Del Cotter is offline

Default Best chart format to use?

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Trish said:

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

I think I would plot it this way. Use only the Recommend/Problems data, and
take the negative of the Problem data:

Rec. Prob.
WSBS 4 -1
ABC 0 -2

Make a stacked column chart. The recommendations reach above the axis, the
problems below.

Thanks Jon, I have just done what you suggested and it looks good. Is there
a way I can put the labels below the problem area rather than "in" the
problem area?

Annoyingly, as you discovered, data labels only show "Center", "Inside
Base", and "Inside End" as display locations. I can see three ways
around this, with various levels of usefulness/difficulty

1) abandon the positive/negative display and just go for a stacked
column chart with the Rec and Prob adding up to "Response". This was my
first idea, but I admit Jon's looks better (no problem with being able
to compare bars that don't line up). This way means you can just use X
axis labels.

2) create a second stacked bar series which simply copies the "Prob"
column, format it to be invisible (no area colour and no border colour)
and format its data label to be "Inside Base". Manually delete it from
the legend, if any.

3) Third option is to change the chart type of that series to "Line"
instead of "Column" type, and format the data label to be "Below".
Again, invisible formatting and delete from the legend, since all you're
interested in is the label.

How much better it would be if Microsoft offered "Outside End" as a
label position!

--
Del Cotter