Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
daddylonglegs daddylonglegs is offline

Default Using a month as a trigger to do a calculation

Hello debra, at the most basic level you can use a formula like

=IF(MONTH(E1)=6,SUM(E4:E7),"")

Does that help? Note: this won't differentiate by year

"debra" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that has entries set out by date. I now need to break
that data out by month so it can be totaled. Have tried a couple of
solutions and am not finding something that really gets me what I need.
Basically what I need to do is:

If cell E1 is a date in June I need to total the dollars in columns E4-E7.
If the month is not June then I do not need it to do anything. Would need to
to the same for each month of year in different columns.

Currentlyl I am doing this manually and looking for a better solution that
eliminates the manual input. Any ideas would be welcome.

--
debra