Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
stevem stevem is offline

Default Sort with a "" formula result

In this example assume:
A1 never had a value and is blank
Cell B1 contains the formula =if(a1=0,"",a1) and should result in ""

Rows D and E are as follows

Row num Value
1 widgit
2
3

If I manually Copy B1 and Paste values in E3(below Widget), then sort by row
E with header, I come up with the following result:

Row num Value
2
1 widgit
3

B1 should have a result of "", which I would think is the same value as a
blank cell, hoever the sort does not group these together (row 2 and 3).
Sort also puts the result of row 2 "" ahead of widget in this example.

This problem was identified in a much more complex and larger project. The
above example is simplified for explantion purposes. In the real project the
values from column E are put into a combo box after a sort, and all the
blanks come to the top. We could sort z to a , but most users expect a to z
sorts as would I.

Does anyone know how to paste a value that will sort the same as a blank cell?