Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dewayne Dewayne is offline

Default Sum results of VLOOKUP

Thank you for your suggestion Don. Since you conclusion worked for me, I
will not post the layout.
Thank you again.
--
Dewayne

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Post your layout
apple gala
apple fuji
etc.
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Dewayne" wrote in message
I have a list in an Excel worksheet that is also used as a VLOOKUP table to
calculate values applied to various products, specifically, varietal names
of
fruits such as apples, pears, cherries etc. Each fruit has several names
of
its varieties listed in the table (as an example apples are listed as
Gala,
Braeburn, Fuji etc.). The variety names for each fruit are inter-mixed
with
other fruit's variety names in the table to accomplish the "sort by
ascending" requirement for a VLOOKUP table.
The result of the VLOOKUP is used to multiply (or divide) by the values in
different cell to create a value in the dependent cell.
What I need to accomplish is to "sum" the values in the range of dependent
cells for only a specific fruit i.e. apple varieties, then pear varieties,
etc. so that I end up with total values by fruit for apples, pears,
cherries
or any other fruits on the list.
Any suggestion would be apprecited.
Thank you,