Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Formulas

And remember that you have to have enough columns in the lookup range.

For instance, you couldn't return column 6 from A3:C714 (3 columns wide).

pulling my hair out wrote:

Is there a way to get the cell # that you want to return data from to change
as you copy it across several columns? (i.e. ",3,false) ,4, false) .5,false))

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

=VLOOKUP(K4,$A$3:$C$714,3,FALSE)

The $ fixes that range so that the address (either row or column or both) won't
change when you copy that formula.

Copying VLOOKUP formulas wrote:

I have the following formula inserted into a cell. I know it works because
it returns the correct value.

=VLOOKUP(K4,A3:C714,3,FALSE)

I now need to copy this same formula in the same column over about 700 rows
of data. The "K4" will obviously change since that's the value I'm looking
for, but how do I lock the range table, i.e. "A3:C714", so it won't increase
when I copy the formulas down? Also, is there something I need to do in
Paste Special to make the formula work in the other rows? I've tried
everything and I can't get the formula to copy correctly. I obviously don't
want to retype it 700 times.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

--

Dave Peterson