Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Leave a cell COMPLETELY blank if there is an error

If you have Text in some cells, then a different approach is needed:

In place of:
COUNTA(calc!$F:$F)
use:
65536-COUNTBLANK(calc!$F:$F)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200757

"hello" wrote:

Thanks Jon and Gary's Student -- the reason for not using COUNT() is that I
also have text in the column, which does not counted, but it is easier to
work around that so I will switch. Would be nice to have something that would
leave a cell totally blank.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

If you don't want to count the pseudo-blank, why not use COUNT() rather than
COUNTA()?
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200757

"hello" wrote:

My question is similar to many others in this discussion group, but I have
searched pretty thoroughly and not found the answer to my exact question...

What I want to do is to leave a cell completely blank if the result of an
ISERROR test (shown below) is true. I need that cell to be completely blank,
because in another cell I have an INDIRECT formula that relies on the COUNTA
function that refers to this first cell. If the IF(ISERROR...) formula
deposits a "" in a cell, it will be counted in the COUNTA formula, and
INDIRECT will pull the (nonexistent) value from this cell.

(This formula is on a sheet named calc)
=IF(ISERROR((raw!K285),"",(raw!J285-(raw!K285/raw!K273-1)*100))

=INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("'calc'!f",COUNTA(calc!$F:$F )+23))

Is there a way to do this? Thank you!