Myrna Larson

Do you want to search one particular row, or all rows?

HLOOKUP and MATCH are the usual worksheet functions, but they require that you
search one row and return either data from that or another row, or the column
number.

If you want to search multiple rows, as you can do with Edit/Find, then you'll
need a VBA macro. And with some earlier versions of Excel that doesn't work
from a worksheet formula. In that case, the macro would have to execute
multiple MATCHs, on on each row.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:41:11 +0100, "markx"
wrote:

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for a formula (not VBA!) that could give me back the letter of
the column containing some particular data (f. ex. "abc").
If the data is present in more than one column, it could give me back the
letter of the first column that matches the criteria (or of any of them, if
it's easier).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,

Mark