Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Automatic backup option

No Autorecovery in Excel 2000 but you do have the Autosave add-in which makes
incremental backups of your file as you are working on it.

Autorecovery doesn't do you much good for saving a backup file.

It only creates a temporary file which is deleted if Excel closes without
incident.

Do not use Autorecovery as a method of backing up files.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 04:56:00 -0800, Reggie D.
wrote:

Ed,

Most useful; thank you. As I only have EXCEL 2000 is it still possible to
use Autorecover or do I have to upgrade to "003 or 2007?

Reggie D.

"Ed Ferrero" wrote:

Hi Reggie,

In Excel 2000 or 2003, click Save As...
You see the Save As dialog, which prompts you for a file name,
in the top right corner of the dialog you will see a Tools button that opens
a drop-down menu.
One of the menu items is 'General Options' - you will find the 'Always
create backup' checkbox here.

In Excel 2007 the Tools drop-down is at the bottom left of the dialog (for a
more consistent look and feel :^)

Note that all this does is save a copy of the file in the same folder as the
file, so if you have a workbook named 'Book1.xls' in the \My Documents\
folder, then enabling this option will also save a file named 'Backup of
Book1.xls' in the same folder. Not too useful if you have a hard drive
crash.

But, if you accidentally wreck a workbook and then save it, the original
file will contain the wrecked data, and the backup file will still be good
(it stays one save behind the original document).

A more useful method for backing up your document is to use AutoRecover.
This is turned on by default in Excel 2003 and 2007. I think you needed an
add-in for previous versions. By default, AutoRecover saves a copy of your
workbook every 10 minutes in a location like C:\Documents and
Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\. You can (and should)
change the location to a different drive than that where you normally store
your work.

If you are on a corporate network, and you store your documents on a network
folder, then leaving the setting to the default location (on your C: drive)
makes sense. If you have a standalone PC, then consider using two disc
drives, store your work on one, and AutoRecover information on the other.

You can also set the AutoRecover storage interval to a time that suits you.

To get to the AutoRecove setting in Excel 2003, click Tools - Options -
Save (tab)
In Excel 2007 Office Button - Excel Options - Save

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com