Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Formula needed

Glad to hear that - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Nov 14, 8:59 pm, Sprinter
wrote:
Thanks "pete_UK" ...works perfectly!!!

"Pete_UK" wrote:
Here's an array* formula that should do it:

=SUM(IF(A1:A20="X",10,A1:A20))

Adjust the range to suit - I have assumed numbers in A1:A20.

* As this is an array formula, then once you have typed it in (or
subsequently amend it) you need to commit it with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER
(CSE) instead of the usual ENTER. If you do this correctly then Excel
will put curly braces { } around the formula when viewed in the
formula bar - you must not type these yourself.

Upper or lower case X will be treated as having a value of 10.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 14, 7:01 pm, Sprinter
wrote:
I need to be able to put a letter, X into a cell which would then, when the
row was added, the X would count as 10. The X needs to remain in the cell,
and not just simply change to 10.
However I still need to be able to return a value in to the same cell, such
as 1, 2, 3, etc if I dont want to use the letter X.

Hope some one can help and thanks in advance!

Steve- Hide quoted text -