Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\) Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\) is offline

Default convert a text date to a true date

Given the different date format that you just posted in JR Hester's
subthread, use this formula in the help column using the procedure I
outlined instead of the formula I originally posted...

=--SUBSTITUTE(A2,LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)),"")

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
Assuming your first date is in A2, put this formula in the 2nd row of a
help column...

=DATE(RIGHT(A2,2),MID(A2,FIND("-",A2)-2,2),MID(A2,FIND("-",A2)+1,LEN(A2)-3-FIND("-",A2)))

and copy it down through all the rows that have dates in them. Then select
all the dates in this helper column and Edit/Copy (or Ctrl+C) them; then
select A2 (the first cell containing the original date) and click
Edit/PasteSpecial in Excel's menu bar; select Values from the option list
and hit OK; then delete the helper column and format the newly copied
dates however you want them to look.

Rick

"JR Hester" wrote in message
I am out of ideas. Excel„¢ XP on WinnXP.
I have acquired a spreadsheet "database" from another user. approximayely
5K
records with dates in the dddd, m-d-yy format, although these appear to
be
stored as text. Changing the format does not change theway data is
displayed.
Cells were originally formatted as General.

Can anyone offer a simple formula method to change these text entries
into a
true date format? I am in process of importing info into an Access„¢
database.

Thanks for any suggestions