Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JR Hester JR Hester is offline

Default convert a text date to a true date

Thanks Tom for that. MAybe I should be a bit more specific.
My dates are text such as
Sunday, March 3, 2002
Wednesday, April 11, 2004
Friday, December 20, 2003
and so forth.

"Tom" wrote:

I have a situation where my dates come to me as 1071114 (107 is the year, 11,
is the month and 14 is the day). I use the formula
=date(left(a1,3),mid(a1,4,2),right(a1,2)) and it converts to 11/14/2007. May
take a bit of modification but it should work for you.

Luck

"JR Hester" wrote:

I am out of ideas. Excel„¢ XP on WinnXP.
I have acquired a spreadsheet "database" from another user. approximayely 5K
records with dates in the dddd, m-d-yy format, although these appear to be
stored as text. Changing the format does not change theway data is displayed.
Cells were originally formatted as General.

Can anyone offer a simple formula method to change these text entries into a
true date format? I am in process of importing info into an Access„¢ database.

Thanks for any suggestions