Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
iliace iliace is offline

Default User Proficiency

I think you need to isolate exactly what you mean by "knowledge in
Excel", too. I can think of two scenarios where you'll run into
rating difficulty.

One, Ron C's response - macros come after complex worksheet
functions. What if the user is an expert C++ developer, with some
knowledge of Visual Basic? Of course you can have the kinda scenarios
with that stereotype. This user will avoid anything overly
complicated with the interface, worksheet function, etc. and stick to
familiar programming techniques to build the features from scratch,
however elegantly. This is knowledge of application development, not
an Excel skill per se.

Two, Tim's response. The users in the scenario do not grasp the
concept of a computerized spreadsheet, period. To them it's like a
word processor or a form designer. They're like the people who didn't
see any sense in having xerox machines because they already had carbon
paper. Things that any spreadsheet can do - starting with VisiCalc -
may very well be outside of their frame of reference. Excel shares
many fundamental spreadsheet capabilities with other software, and
knowledge of it is somewhat different from knowledge of the specific
unique features and quirks that Excel has to offer.

Which brings me to my last point. There are so many aspects to Excel
specifically, that it seems almost impossible to rate. At my work, no
one comes close to me using any Office application, particularly
Excel. However, on a regular basis, I see a neophyte user doing
something that I just never thought possible. I remember how, years
ago, these were ways I discovered everything from Freeze Panes and
Autofilter to PivotTables. These users may not be able to make the
most out of these features as an expert might, but they have
discovered them whereas some advanced users have not. Does this
constitute knowledge and bump you points?

Sorry if I'm getting too philosophical on you. I think average is
about 42.

On Nov 13, 5:57 pm, Oshtruck user
wrote:
I am doing a project for school on the average Microsoft Excel user's
knowledge in Excel. If you have could please post what you think the average
persons knowledge of excel is from zero to 100, 100 being an expert, I would
be incredibly happy. Also, if you have an links with statistics on this
subject please let me know as well.