Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre Ron Coderre is offline

Default User Proficiency

You'd need to clarify who you consider a "user" and what parts of Excel
they'd need to know. I don't know of anybody who knows everything about
Excel. But, If you mean people who have used Excel regularly as part of
their accounting/finance job for a year or more, I have quite a bit of
experience working with those people.

My typical ratings would fall into these categories:
BEGINNER
0 -10 : Knows basic Windows navigation, uses the formula wizard, adds
2 cells using =SUM(A1,B1)
11-20 : Can change fonts, shading, and borders. Uses basic functions
competently (SUM, AVERAGE, MAX, etc)
21-30 : Uses AutoFilter and VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, IF
INTERMEDIATE
31-40 : Uses Data Grouping/Outlining, and Pivot Tables, SUBTOTAL,
and uses Data Validation
41-50 : Uses Advanced Filter, SEARCH, FIND, SUMPRODUCT, combines
INDEX and MATCH, and uses Conditional Formatting
51-60 : Records basic macros for simple tasks.
61-70 : Edits recorded macros to improve efficiency of simple tasks
71-80 : Builds functional, but inelegant, vba driven models.
81-90 : Builds complex, but still somewhat inelegant, models.
91-100: Builds fully featured, secured, well structured and
documented models.

Using the above, I would categorize the Excel users I deal with this way:
5% are Beginner (11-20)
45% are Beginner (21-30)
40% are Intermediate (31-40)
5% are Intermediate (41-50)
5% are Intermediate (51-60)

Some dabble in the Advanced (61-70) area, but not in any ways
that I'd recommend using.

Those are my non-scientific observations. I hope that helps.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Oshtruck user" wrote in message
I am doing a project for school on the average Microsoft Excel user's
knowledge in Excel. If you have could please post what you think the
average
persons knowledge of excel is from zero to 100, 100 being an expert, I
would
be incredibly happy. Also, if you have an links with statistics on this
subject please let me know as well.