Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Oshtruck user Oshtruck user is offline

Default User Proficiency

Thanks for the Great Comment veryeavy!!

"veryeavy" wrote:

Hmmm,

Potentially a very interesting question. I only have a couple of mundane
musings to kick things off ...

1. With reference to Jim Cone's reply: if the scale of 0 to 100 is linear
then the average Excel user's knowledge will be below 50, I suspect quite
substantially.

2. At work we were asked to self-rate ourselves in a variety of programs,
and there were a large number of individuals who believed themselves to be
Advanced or Expert, the vast majority of whom do not even have a rudimentary
knowledge of macros. I suspect some people write a couple of formulas that
are marginally more complex than "=A1+B1" and somehow believe they are well
down the road to mastery of Excel. This self-rating may not be entirely
unreasonable if they do not have any conception of what is possible with
Excel. (This was somewhat frustrating as these were supposed to be the
"go-to" people in times of need, but since a lot of people come to me with
their Excel questions and I then come running here for help ...) However ...

3. I play bridge of Bridge Base Online (BBO). There are 6 levels of
self-rating, the second highest of which is "Expert". There are a remarkable
number of individuals online who consider themselves "Expert". I am lucky
enough to personally know a few bridge experts (and play face to face bridge
with them), and feel qualified to judge that many of the online Experts
barely qualify as "Intermediate", let alone "Advanced" or "Expert". With some
of them it may be that they are the "Expert" at the local club, but their
horizons are limited and they genuinely have no idea what a real expert
"looks" like. But others are clearly delusional and have no self-knowledge as
to their own inadequacies. (BTW: I rate myself as "Advanced" on BBO and now
cringe when I remember that I self-rated myself as "Advanced" 3 years ago
when I was clearly still an improving "Intermediate".

This is largely tangential to the original question but I hope there will be
some further interesting discussion on (and around) the original question.

Cheers,

Matt

"Oshtruck user" wrote:

I am doing a project for school on the average Microsoft Excel user's
knowledge in Excel. If you have could please post what you think the average
persons knowledge of excel is from zero to 100, 100 being an expert, I would
be incredibly happy. Also, if you have an links with statistics on this
subject please let me know as well.