Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JW[_2_] JW[_2_] is offline

Default Convert a letter to a numeric value

In B1, place something like this and paste down the column as needed.
=IF(A1="A",4,IF(A1="B",3,IF(A1="C",2,"Not A, B, or C")))

sherrye123 wrote:
If I have data in a column, in alpha form, is there any way to automatically
convert that data to numeric values in another column? For example, if cell
A1 contains B, A2 contains B, A3 contains A, A4 contains C, how can I get B1
to show 3, B2 to show 3, B3 to show 4, B4 to show 2, etc? (A should =4, B
should =3, C should=2).