Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike Mike is offline

Default Excel - Formulas

Ok. I am having trouble devising a formula for the following problem:

I have a table that has a column that identifies a report name (key), a
column entitled DEPARTMENT (report is assigned to), and the number of days it
took for the report to be completed.

How can I average the amount of days it took reports to be completed for
each department, without actually sorting the table and creating a new table?

Is there some LOOKUP formula or ARRAY formula that I can use to look for a
specific DEPARTMENT name, take a number in adajcent cell and add it into an
average function for the rest of the cells that correspond to that department
name?

Thanks for any help.