Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Dave Dave is offline

Default links word to excel

Hi macropod,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, that's how we had them set up, and they worked fine in a semi-
static evironment. What we were doing was stepping through a table in
Excel and updating the linked cells with each record (using VBA from
Excel), then printing the linked Word document.. In other words, we
were attempting to do a batch print job, using the Excel data and
printing it on a Word document (form).

It was this dynamic updating and refreshing that was bringing the
system to it's knees. As Bill ponted out, MailMerge was probably the
better way to go, but as it turned out, we converted the Word form to
Excel, so thus eliminated the problem.

thanks,

Dave

On Nov 10, 4:21 am, "macropod" wrote:
Hi Dave,

If these are the same Excel cells you're referencing each time, simply copying them once into Word with Edit|Paste Special and
checking the 'Link' option will set the links up permanently. Then all you'll need to do is to refresh them periodically, which is
as simple as opening the Word document.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Dave" wrote in ooglegroups.com...
Hi Bill,

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. As one who has always
worked with Excel, but rarely with Word, MailMerge just never occured
to me. All the same, I'm still not sure why those links didn't work
as expected.

Thanks again,

regards,

Dave

On Nov 7, 1:22 am, Bill Manville wrote:
Have you considered using Mailmerge?

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England
No email replies please - respond to newsgroup- Hide quoted text -