Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Finding data in a text column

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 17:05:00 -0800, Secret Squirrel
wrote:

I have a column that has a description of each of my inventoried items. The
syntax is not the same for any of them. Each one of these items has a
specific section that I need to extract to another column. Since they are not
in the same location within the field how would I pull this data out? The
data I'm looking for is the "WO# 223900". The 6 digits are not always the
same either but the "WO#" is. How can I extract this info from my field?

Post some examples of various syntaxes that might be used.

Is there always a space after the "#" and then a six digit number?

If so, then the following should work:

=MID(A1,FIND("WO#",A1),10)

--ron