Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Excel as a products catalogue?

I personally have used files up to about 50mB, and others here have
talked about files in excess of 100, but it will depend on how many
pictures you have and what size they are as to whether that will be
enough for your catalogue. Big files are certainly very slow and
cumbersome, but this might not be of much concern if you are not
planning to do many calculations. I would have thought that this is a
database application linked to publisher, so have you considered using
Access?

Incidentally, you might find this link to be of use if you are
thinking of making it an interactive catalogue:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 8, 10:12 pm, Pat wrote:
Ok, thankyou for both your answers.

I do of course understand that Excel is for advanced calculating, however
with it's inviting input possibilities it feels so much easier using Excel as
supposed to pages with lots of free floating objects everywhere around.. I
might not have been clear enough as to what my pages are going to look like;
Imagine a landscape A4-page with maybe at most twenty rows and say five
columns, each first cell would contain a picture the remaining column/cells
are then used for input-data such as article-number, description, packaging
and prices. Just normal "data" so to speak.

Knowing this, my question is: Will Excel at some point fail because it
contains too much jpg-files, or can it handle the data?

Pat.