Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
iliace iliace is offline

Default CAN YOU ALPHA SORT IN A SINGLE CELL?

In cell A1 I have "cbdgeaf". In cells C1:C7, I enter this array
formula:

=MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)

In cell E1, I have the following formula:

=CONCATENATE(C1,C2,C3,C4,C5,C6,C7)

Select column C. Copy and paste special values. Sort column C, no
headers, ascending, and the result in E1 will be sorted.

Not a great solution, and will only work for single-character
strings. Of course you could make a ridiculous long array formula
that will split up by a delimited, but you still have to go through
the process of paste special values, resort, etc etc. You'll probably
run into function nesting limitations if you're using Excel 2003 or
earlier, formula length problems due to repeated statements for error
checking... in short you don't want to go there.

Another possibility would be using Text-to-columns, then copy/paste
special transpose, then sort. And, like Gary said, VBA is an option
as well.

On Nov 8, 3:01 pm, Gary''s Student
wrote:
Yes. But it requires a VBA macro
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200755

"Precious Pearl" wrote:
CAN YOU ALPHA SORT IN A SINGLE CELL?- Hide quoted text -