Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pch2004 pch2004 is offline

Default Formula Mystery

I can't believe that someone thought it would be helpful to change my
formulas without consulting me first! I thought that I had some strange Excel
virus that was maliciously changing things...

Thanks very much for the help...it's in exactly the same spot in Excel 2003
and is now unchecked...problem solved!

"MartinW" wrote:

Ahh Don't you just loove "helpful?" programmers

Try ToolsOptionsEdit Tab
and uncheck 'Extend list formats and formulas'

That's in Excel 2000 it may be slightly different in later versions.

HTH
Martin

"pch2004" wrote in message
Hi. I have a spreadsheet where I enter numbers in columns E to I.

I have some simple sums that are calculated in columns J and K. Cell J5's
formula is for example SUM(E5:G5). Cell K5's formula is for example
SUM(E5:I5).

So here is the really strange issue: as I enter data into cells E5, F5,
G5,
H5, I5 (in that order), my formula in cell J5 changes magically to
SUM(E5:I5)
-- with no warning whatsoever. What the heck is going on??