Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten Niek Otten is offline

Default Question re Vlookup function within Excel.

Aha!. Indeed if you need multiple results, look he

Takes a bit of time, but if you follow the instructions carefully, it works beautifully

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Pete_UK" wrote in message oups.com...
| If you have multiple "John"'s, then VLOOKUP (and MATCH) will only find
| the first occurrence. You need to approach it in a different way.
|
| Pete
|
| On Nov 7, 10:29 pm, 007juk wrote:
| =VLOOKUP(B6,Sheet2!A2:BC499,5,)
|
| B6 is on Sheet1 and contains the name, I have a list of 140 names and
| I'm using data validation to select. Within Sheet2 I have 10 columns,
| but at the moment the cols I'm interested in are ColA and ColE. Col A
| contains the name and colB contains the data I want to display.
|
| If sheet2 is populated with the following A2 contains John, A3 contains
| Mike and A4 contains John and colE has been filled with data then I want
| to select john from the drop down in sheet1 and for cells B10 and B11 to
| be populated with data. If I select Mike from the drop down then cell
| B10 of sheet1 would be populated with data.
|
| Many thanks,
|
| Niek Otten;582366 Wrote:
|

| Please post your formula, your input data and the relevant part of the
| lookup table.
| Do you have multiple Johns?
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "007juk" wrote in message
| |
| | Niek Otten;581677 Wrote:
| | Use FALSE as the 4th argument
| |
| | --
| | Kind regards,
| |
| | Niek Otten
| | Microsoft MVP - Excel
| |
| | "007juk" wrote in message
| | |
| | | Hi,
| | |
| | | Can the following be done.
| | |
| | | I have the following formula in Sheet1 of my workbook.
| | |
| | | =VLOOKUP(B6,Sheet2!A2:BC499,5,)
| | |
| | | When cell A2 of Sheet2 is populated with the name John and cell
| E2
| | | contains 'ABC' the formula works ok, but when cell A3 is
| populated
| | with
| | | the same name, but cell E3 has 'DEF' it won't display the text
| | 'DEF'.
| | | Can this be done so that each time I enter the same name in
| column A
| | | with different data in column E it populates correctly.
| | |
| | | Many thanks.
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | --
| | | 007juk
| |
| | Unfortunately, it is still displaying ABC when I wanted it to
| display
| | DEF which is entered in Cell E3. I don't think vlookup is going to
| | work. I habe also tried index/match function, but that doesn't work
| | either.
| |
| | Thanks for your reply.... I'm puzzled with this one.
| |
| |
| |
| |