Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default calculating pay rates for different times of the day

Neither if=(a5=",",a5-0.75) nor if=a6=",",a6-8) are valid syntax.
Try again with the exact formulae you have been using. Don't try to retype
them; copy from the formula bar and paste here.

Also, I don't think you've answered Pete's question as to when the break
period is taken. Will your input data have a start time & end time for your
shift, together with a start time and end time for the break, or if not how
do you decide which period to deduct the break time from?
--
David Biddulph

"davidesw" wrote in message
Hi pete, Yes the 45 minutes is always the same, i am a lorry driver in the
uk
so always have to deduct 45 minutes from my pay.

and to the secound part yes the 45 is deducted from the time period sorry
was not thinking when i did the example. my bad.
thanks for your quick response too, i have been trying for ages to get
this
right.
two that i have used are, if=(a5=",",a5-0.75) which deduted me break but
as
you say thats from the total hours, also used if=a6=",",a6-8) but this
just
helped me deduct me 8 hours, i have been trying with serveral others
before
admitting i cant do it, get me to put a computer together i can do, but
this
well hands up i cant do it.

once again thankyou for your help.

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Well, I don't think it will be a simple calculation, but it could be
done. It's getting late here, so I'll get back to you tomorrow.

One odd thing about your first example, though, is that your break
time is deducted from the most expensive period - I would have thought
that it should be deducted from the time period in which it occurred.
Also, will the break period always be 45 minutes taken away from
whatever your start and finish times will be?

Pete

On Nov 8, 12:58 am, davidesw
wrote:
hi there i am new to this so please dont shout at me,i'm using office
2007.
i'm after an easier way for me to calculate my pay i work odd shifts
crossing
over time zones.
what i'm needing is to be able to calculate different pay rates.
i.e
pay rates from 0600 to 1800 are paid at £8 an hour after 8 hours going
onto
£12 an hour, after 1800 this goes into night rate of £9 before 8 hours
then
goes too £13.50 an hour for remainder.
Example:

14:00 to 03:00 -45 mins break = 12.25 hours, would work out like this
14:00 to 18:00 = 4*£8
18:00 to 22:00 = 4*£9
22:00 to 02:15 = 4.25* £13.50.

also this way round 01:45 to 15:45 running on night rate of £9 until
06:00
then going onto £8 until 8 hours are completed, then overtime of £12
there
after.
is there a simple way well once excel is set up to calculate this,
instead
of me taking two hours every friday to work out. ready for monday for
that
weeks pay, fed up with my wages always being wrong.