Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joeu2004 joeu2004 is offline

Default Subtracting Rounded Numbers

On Nov 5, 1:31 pm, boya716 wrote:
I have two cells that I am trying to subtract. Say A1 is 4.0 and B1 is 1.55,
both are formatting with ROUND, so A1 rounds to 4.0 and B1 rounds to 1.6.
When subtracting these in cell C1, with ROUND function, it reads 2.4. It is
subtracting 1.55 from 4.0 instead of 1.6 from 4.0. How do I get it to
subtract the final rounded number?

On Nov 6, 5:43 am, boya716 wrote:
I am using the ROUND( ) formula after subtracting the two figures.

It sounds like you want to subtract 1.6 from 4.0 (i.e. the rounded
values), resulting in 2.4, instead of subtracting 1.55 from 4.0 (i.e.
the unrounded values), resulting in 2.5 after rounding. Right?

Two ways come to mind:

1. Instead of ROUND(A1-B1,1), use ROUND(A1,1) - ROUND(B1,1).

2. Select the option Tools = Options = Calculation = Precision As
Displayed.

The problem with #2 is: it affects the entire workbook. There are
many times when that is undesirable.

PS: Forgive me if I misinterpreted your intentions. You really are
not expressing yourself very well.

First, you say that A1 and B1 __each__ use ROUND(). If that is the
case, A1 is actually 1.6. So how could you subtract 1.55 in C1? On
the other hand, you do say "formatted using ROUND", which is
ambiguous. Could you mean that A1 (and B1?) is round by selecting
Format = Cells = Number = Number with 1 decimal places?

Instead of __describing__ what you have in English, which is
inherently ambiguous, I suggest that you post the __actual__ formulas
and formats that you have in A1, B1 and C1, and __carefully__ explain
what result you see now and what alternate result you prefer to see,
given the example values.