Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LCG LCG is offline

Default Can I auto count the # of characters in an excel cell?

Thanks Pete.

"Pete_UK" wrote:

The LEN() function will give you the number of characters in a cell,
eg:

=LEN(A1)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 1, 11:53 pm, lcg wrote:
I'll appreciate any help I can get. I'm using MS Office Professional 2003.
I'm working in a worksheet that is used to download into a database. There
are rules defined for each type of data that is entered. The max number of
characters allowed in one particular cell is suppose to be 100. If you need
additional space, you would use the cell below for the carryover. The cell
allows me to exceed 100 without error or warning. However, once the info
downloads to the database and is extracted out again later, the cell has been
truncated to 100. Short of arrowing through all the data in the cell and
manually counting, is there a way to get the total count of characters
(including punctuation and spaces) in a cell for the times I know it could be
close? This is someone else's worsheet that I'm completing and all of the
formating is protected. Thanks in advance.