Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gav123 Gav123 is offline

Default IF Statement: cell referencing

Hi Mike,

I would use a VLOOKUP along the lines of...

Say your housing codes and values are in Sheet 1 cell range A1:B100

In sheet 2 you are entering manually entering the housing codes in cell A1
and you wan the value to be in cell B1..

In sheet 2 Cell B1 type =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$100,2,0)

And copy down as far as you need.

Now when you enter the Housing code in A the value will be in B

Hope this helps,

Gav.

"Mike" wrote:

Hello, I'm using Excel 2003 and need help on an If statement or not sure
whether I should use a Vlook Up table.

I have 2 spreadsheets. The first has a list of housing benefit codes e.g.
HB0001 in column A. The next column along has the nominal values of what
these codes represent e.g. £17.50. In the 2nd spreadsheet I then manually
enter each code that the recipient is entitled to in a column. I want to
create a IF statement on another spreadsheet that will automatically fill in
the nominal value that the code represents. FOr example, I want Excel to
look at the column that has all the codes that I enter and then place the
nominal value in it's place.

Example:
Codes: Nominal Value:
HB0001 £17.50