Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default 6/30/2008 date error?!

It is a leftover since the days when Lotus 123 was the main spreadsheet and
MS wanted to make it easier for people used to 123 to migrate to Excel. If
you open a spreadsheet originally done in 123 this will be checked by
default unless somebody has cleared the check boxes previously

Peo Sjoblom

"diaare" wrote in message
You all were correct. Excel was automatically putiting an = in from of my
text...and as Peo suggested, when I turned off the Transition Formula
entry,
the problem corrected itself.

Now, out of curiousity, I'll have to go read up on this "transition"
option.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Diane

"David M. Marcovitz" wrote:

Are you sure you're not putting an = in front of it? If you do , you will
get a number that rounds to 0. 0 in date format it 1/0/1900.
--David

--
David M. Marcovitz
Microsoft PowerPoint MVP

?B?ZGlhYXJl?= wrote in
:

I feel as if someone is playing a cruel joke on me...please help.

I have a row of cells that show dates.

The format is set to date - nothing custom or unusual about it.
Anytime I place the date 6/30/2008 into this row excel displays
"1/0/1900". I tried to recreate the problem on other tabs of the
workbook, or in new workbooks and I can't.

What in the world is going on here?