Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default Excel= can I count how many times letter a appears in 1 cell?

Really? You might want to look at my solution again RD
<LOWER("G")

Peo Sjoblom

"Ragdyer" wrote in message
It appears that the gentlemen who suggested using formulas, allowed the
case
sensitivity of Substitute to slip their minds.<bg.

This will include the capital "A" at the beginning of the sentence in the
count:

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(A1),UPPER("a"),""))

--
HTH,

RD

"Jack D" <Jack wrote in message
in cell a1 is the following sentence - A cat ran up a tree. Is there a
formula to find how many times the letter "a" is in cell A1?