Gord Dibben

Personal.xls is created the first time you record a Macro using Macro
Recorder.

ToolsMacroRecord New Macro. A dialog box will come up asking you name the
macro and where to place it. Pick Personal Macro Workbook from the dropdown.
Copy and paste a couple of cells then Stop Recording.

You now have a Personal.xls in your Office\XLSTART folder. You can go to
Visual Basic Editor(Alt+F11) to view the macro you just recorded in a Module.

You can add more macros by recording or by typing/copying them into the
Module.

You can do a FileSave from there or better yet hit ALT + Q to return to the
Excel window.

Then with Personal.xls active, hit WindowHide.

When you close Excel you will be asked if you want to save Personal.xls. Yes!

It will open hidden next time you start Excel.

NOTE: when assigning macros to buttons or menu items you will have to precede
the macro name with Personal.xls.

i.e. Personal.xls!macroname

An alternative to Personal.xls is to create an add-in(*.xla) with your macros
in it and load it through ToolsAdd-ins.

The benefit of this is that you don't have to precede the macro name with the
filename.

A disadvantage is that you will not see the macros in the ToolsMacroMacros
dialog.

Gord

On 16 Mar 2005 04:00:52 -0800, wrote:

Gord- Thanks for your response. I'd like to make the code/button
available globally without opening a secondary file. I'm using Excel
2003; I searched for but could not locate a file called Personal.xls.
Any recommendations?

Thanks again for your help!