Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Carlo Carlo is offline

Default Returning a Value from a Table, dependant on the word Typed

look in the help for vlookup, that's the formula that does exactly what you
want.
If you need help in applying this formula, just ask.

hth

Carlo

"Robert" wrote:

Hi
I'm trying return the weight of an item into an adjacent cell, when I type
the word.
To Explain: If I have A1 and B1 as Item and Weight, then underneath those I
have Sofa, Chair, Bed etc, with the relevant weights in the B Column.

Next I have another Worksheet or the Same Worksheet, where I have Name, Item
and Weight. I want to insert automatically the Weight based on typing the
right Item (i.e. Sofa) in the cell next to the persons name.

Hope that makes sense. Can't seem to upload a sample. I may have about 100
items to access along with their weights.
Thanks