Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default Dynamic SUM range

N Just converts a cell to its numeric equivalent, required as OFFSET returns
an array of cell references, N changes it to an array of values (to SUM).

Send it to me at

bob dot phillips at tiscali dot co dot uk

do the obvious with dot at and the spaces, and I will look at it.

--
HTH

Bob

"Carl" wrote in message
OK, I tried all of the suggestions offered and did not get satisfactory
results with any of them. I'm not sure what happened with my earlier
replay
thanks ya'll for the inputs. I had to use Excel help to find out what a
few
of the functions did so I learned from that but I still dn't know what the
N() function does.

I did adjust everyone of the formulas offered to match my actual data and
maybe that had some impact on the results.

I created a separate spreadsheet with all of the formulas and their
respective results as well as a breakdown of the formulas to help me
understand how they worked. I would gladly provide this spreadsheet to
anyone willing to provide additional help but I don't know if there is a
way
to attach it to this thread.

Again thanks for the positive feedback.

"Carl" wrote:

I want to be able to SUM the last 4 values in row. I know the exact
location
of the last cell so this would appear to be my starting point and I would
work backwards from thee. But the cells preceding it may contain a value
or
there may be a blank cell. There can only be a maximum of 1 blank cell
in
the row of values I want to sum, so the blank cell may or may not be in
the
last 4 cells I want to sum. If it is one of the last 4 cells then I want

Example: 14 20 23 38 41 blank 28 16

Since I want to sum the last 4 cells with values, I know I want to sum
38+41+28+16 but I have to define my range for the last 5 cells to get 4
valid
cells

But if I have...

Example: 14 20 23 38 41 28 16

I still want to sum the last 4 values but now the range is only the last
4
cells because there is no blank cell in the range.

Am I trying to make this too complex?