JulieD

Hi Richard

check out my answer in microsfot.public.excel.misc -

just for future reference there's no need to post to multiple groups as most
of the responders here read a number of groups and all it does is fragment
the answers and annoy people who might spend considerable time coming up
with a solution to a question only to discover the questions been answered
in another group.

Cheers
JulieD

"Richard Pace" wrote in message
om...
I have been entering data from surveys into an Excel spread sheet.
Each respondent may have up to twelve types of problems that they will
have written something about. I have created a separate column for
each row.This is what it looks like (if you get my drift).

-------- ------- ----------------- -----------------------
|Id No: |Name: |Problem 1(Engine)|Problem 2(Transmission)|
-------- ------- ----------------- -----------------------
|1000 |John |Too noisy |Gears hard to change |
-------- ------- ----------------- -----------------------

(with 12 columns for the problems)
(and 200 rows for the names - so far)

But now the client wants each problem to be listed in separate rows
not columns. With the repondents name on each row if there is more
than one problem. This is what it should look like.
--------- -------- -------------- --------------------
|Id No: |Name: |Problem |Verbatim |
--------- -------- -------------- --------------------
|1000 |John |Engine |Too noisy |
--------- -------- -------------- --------------------
|1000 |John |Transimission |Gears hard to change|
(etc up to 12 problems and the verbatim).

I have already entered the data for over 200 surveys. Is there an easy
way to automatically transform the data from the first format into the
second format.

I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can answer this problem.
(Assuming there is an answer).

Thank you,
Harry