David Benson

Horatio,

If you want your fractions to always have a specific denominator, then yes,
there is a way.

Select the cell or range you want to format, then click Format Cells... .
Next, click Custom. Enter format spec such as "# ?/4". The "#" specifies a
variable number of whole-number digits. The "?" specifies a single numerator
digit. The "/" is the division line. The "4" forces the denominator always
to be four.

If you select a denominator with more than one digit (for example,
sixteenths), be sure that the numerator has the same number of "?'s".

David

"Horatio J. Bilge" wrote in message
I asked about this earlier, but I'll try again, with less rambling...

Is there a way to format fractions so that they do not reduce to the
lowest
common denominator?

For example,
0/4 does not become 0/1