Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jen Jen is offline

Default COUNT returning 0?

Thanks for all these responses - works great!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

For autofiltered row count use the SUBTOTAL function.

=SUBTOTAL(2,range) which is the equivalent of COUNT

=SUBTOTAL(3,range) which is the equivalent of COUNTA

For more see help

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:36:06 -0700, Jen wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with several hundred records in Excel 2000. I have
autofilter turned on, and I've filtered by one of my headings. Now I want to
count the rows that are left - should be easy, right?

However, when I use the COUNT function (=COUNT(D1:D351)), I always get 0.

Since I also want to count the number of rows with one field empty, I also
tried using a COUNTIF on that (in a different column), and it still returns
0.

What am I doing wrong? I've used COUNT lots of times before, but not in this
worksheet. Could there be some setting that's screwing things up?