Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default IF Formula

Sorry, but I'm not understanding your scoring system. I think you've been
inconsistent, which is why you're not getting the answers you expect.

If you want the Rank 1 to score 100%, and the separation to be 100% divided
by the "Out of" figure, then wouldn't 2 out of 4 be 75%, and 3 out of 4 be
50% (not the 25% you quoted), then 4 out of 4 would be 25%.
Of course if you want the 4 out of 4 to score 0, then you'd need the
separation to be 1 divided by ("Out of" -1), or 33.3% in your case, not 25%,
and that would give 100%, 66.7%, 33.3%, and 0% for your four scores.
Tell us which system you are using, and then you or we can work out a simple
formula.
--
David Biddulph

"AL" wrote in message
I have 3 columns **1 is best, 4 is worst

Rank Out of Percentage
3 4 25%

When I set up the original formula to divide 3/4 I get 75%, which is not
what I am looking for. So I set another column to take the 75% and
subtract
100% to get the 25%. Well, when I have this example:

Rank Out of Percentage
1 5 100%

It should be 100%, but the formula returns 80% (1/5=20% minus 100%=80%)

I was trying to set an IF statement within my formula if my rank column
had
a 1, then my percentage column would read 100%. I'm having difficulty
since
there is already a formula in the cell.

Thanks!

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Can you explain?

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"AL" wrote in message
Can you use an IF statement with an already existing formula?

Example: cell formula =d6/d7; can I then add an IF statements?

Thanks,
AL