Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Les Les is offline

Default Why Subtracting Two Negative Numbers Results in Positive Numbe

Peo,

Sorry, I should have included the values in my original post. This is the
formula and result I want to get:
C8 F8
-4,424.80 - -4419.28 = -5.52 but the result always comes out as
positive.

In trying your first example =C8+F8 returns the #VALUE syntax.

The second example =SUM(C8,F8) returns 0 as the value.

Les

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

No need for SUM

what is the result you expected to get? If you want to SUM the number then
you should not subtract

=C8+F8

or

=SUM(C8,F8)

returns -8703.854

Peo Sjoblom

"Les" <Les @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
Hi~
I'm using Excel 2007 and ran into a problem when creating a formula that
references two cells (C8 and F8) where users will enter a negative number
in
each cell. So for example, the user would enter the following numbers:

Cell C8 ------ -4424.872
Cell F8 ------- -4278.982

To subtract both numbers I created the formula: SUM(C8-F8). But the
problem is that instead of returning a negative number, the result is
shown
as a positive number. I'm not sure why this happening. Could someone
point
me in the right direction?

Thanks for the time and expertise!