Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Biff Biff is offline

Default how do you make a line of a chart change color halfway through

Thanks for the reply. I am still learning Excel so I may be missing
something. I can select the line on the chart and I can see all the data
points of the line highlighted. I do not know what you mean though by a
"right cursor". I can right click the line and I see an option to "format
the data series" but whenever I change a setting (such as line color), it
does it for the entire line. I don't know how to highlight only a portion of
the line. Am I doing this work you suggest to the chart or the data that the
chart is pulling from? I am not really familiar with "multiple series"
either.

"Andy Pope" wrote:

Hi,

You could format each segment of the line.
Select the series and then use the Right cursor to move through the
segments. Note if you only have 1 series changing a section of the series
will cause the legend to report each segment.

The other way is to use multiple series. But it does depend on where along
the line the colour change occurs.
Leave cells blank when you do not require the line for a particular colour.

This example uses an xy-scatter as the line changes colour between
categories.
http://www.andypope.info/charts/conditionalline.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"biff" wrote in message
How could you change the color of a line in a line chart so that at some
point on the graph the line changes color?

Say like the line chart shows data over the months of a year but at month
July, the line on the chart changes from blue to green and is green the
rest
of the months.

I am asking about 1 line being two colors.