Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Zombie0635 Zombie0635 is offline

Default same name being returned

Here is my data table that is drawing data from a larger array of data.
Win % Win Loss GB
78% Doug 7 2 --
78% Justin 7 2 --
67% Wade 6 3 1
63% Angela 5 3 1.5
57% Ben 4 3 2
50% Kelly 4 4 2.5

Note: Because I am not profficient with Excel I use multiple tables to break
up my data into smaller pieces that I can handle until I finally get to my
desired results. The above table is the table I am drawing from to get my
final results. Here are the formulas I use on my final table: I use the
"large function" to bring over the winning % in a descending order, than I
use "vlookup's" to bring over the name, wins, and losses. Of course it
doesnt matter if people have the same win/loss record because numbers can be
identical, but it only returns one name for the same winning %. Here is an
example of my "vlookup" formula for my name:
=vlookup(l35,Sheet2!$G$8:$K$13,2,false).

I hope this info sheds a little more light on the subject manner, and thanks
for all of your help

"Pete_UK" wrote:

This will still get the first occurrence of 80%, not the subsequent
ones.

Pete

On Oct 25, 7:49 am, claude jerry
wrote:
I think you are missing to enter a simple part in Vlookup
=Vlookup(Cell To Search,Range to Search,Col No,0)

E.g. =Vlookup(A1,$K1:$N1,2,0)

Just try editing your existing formula by ending it with ,0)

Just a guess I am taking as you have not posted the actual formula

"Zombie0635" wrote:
I have set up a vlook function and I am returning peoples names for a given
array of data, however if multiple people share the same data in this case
percentage points it will return the same name over and over. I am not very
good with "IF" statements but I am assuming that is what I will need to use
to resolve this issue.

i.e. I am looking up 80% and Doug and Justin share that score, so for the
the two scores of 80% it is returning Doug twice instead of Doug once and
Justin once. How do I get it to return one and then once that name is used
than return the other one when that score appears again?

Sorry for the question not being articulated very well. Thanks!- Hide quoted text -