Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Max value formula doesn't work

If they are text values in your column, another way is to change your
formula to this array* formula:

=MAX(VALUE(a1:a514))

*As this is an array formula, then once you have typed it in (or
subsequently amend it) you must use CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER (CSE) to commit
it, rather than the normal ENTER. If you do this correctly, then Excel
will wrap the formula in curly braces { } when viewed in the formula
bar - you must not type these yourself.

Though this will give you the correct answer if the values really are
text, it would be better to convert them to numbers as others have
advised.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 25, 2:08 pm, orquidea
wrote:
Hi David:

I did what you suggested but it didn't work. The weird thing is that if I
run the formula from A1 to A50 It works but after that it doesn't. I
confirmed that the format is hh:mm in all of the data in that columm. I have
copied to a new sheet clear of any format and it doesn't work either.

Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks in advance

Orquidea

"David Biddulph" wrote:
You've presumably got text, rather than real times, in those cells?

Try putting 0:00 in a spare cell, select & copy, then select your column of
"times" and Edit/ Paste Special/ Add.
--
David Biddulph

"orquidea" wrote in message
Hi

I have a colum of 514 rows with hours information (15:00, 0:30, etc). I
want to get the maximun number of hours within this range. I have used
the
formula =max(a1:a514) but the outcome is 0:00. I have done this
calculation
before with hours and it has worked. The ranges have been smaller,
though.

Could anyone help me to figure out how to do it or why it is not working?

Thanks,
Orquidea- Hide quoted text -